Deed of Accession
This do-it-yourself document generator helps you draft a custom Deed of Accession that binds an incoming shareholder to an existing securities agreement in minutes.
How does it work?
Our intuitive tool will guide you through the process step-by-step from start to finish. It’s quick, easy and simple to understand – just how legal documents ought to be.
The expert interview wizard will help you answer a few questions and prepare your document in the background. You’ll have your custom Shareholders or Unitholders Deed in 10 minutes or less.
When you’re done, print or download a PDF versions for you to review, customise or sign.
What is a Deed of Accession ?
A Deed of Accession is a deed that binds a person to an existing shareholders agreement. It is sometimes also known as a Deed of Adherence.
A new shareholder (who is not a party to the shareholder agreement) can sign a Deed of Accession to the shareholders agreement. Upon signing this, the new shareholder is required to comply with the shareholders agreement’s provisions.
Deeds of Accession are also beneficial in saving everyone time and money. For example, it removes the need to draft lengthy shareholders agreements each time new shareholders choose to invest in the company. Instead, you can arrange for the Deed of Accession to be signed by each new shareholder.
When should I use it?
New shareholders should sign a Deed of Accession as soon as they become a shareholder. Signing a Deed of Accession also ensures the new shareholder receives the benefit of the rights given to shareholders under the shareholders agreement.
What topics does the Deed of Accession cover?
- Definitions and interpretation
- Commencement and termination
- Relationship of parties
- Powers, rights and remedies
- Entire agreement and understanding
- Governing law and jurisdiction
What are the main decisions I need to make in creating a Deed of Accession ?
- What do you want to call this agreement?
This document is used to bind an incoming holder of securities to an existing Shareholders’ Agreement, Unitholders’ Agreement, Joint Venture Agreement or similar document. It is executed as a deed poll by the incoming holder of securities in favour of all parties to the existing agreement. You can call it either a Deed of Accession or Adherence.
- In what capacity will the Acceding Party hold securities?
If the original agreement divides the holders of securities into different groups (eg, Founders, Investors, etc), you can specify to which group the incoming investor will belong. Alternatively, you can choose the generic term (eg, Securityholder, Shareholder, etc) that matches the appropriate definition in the original agreement.
- What type of securities is the new party acquiring?
This document can be used with a wide variety of securities. Examples are company issued options, contributing shares, preference shares, and ordinary shares
What other names does Deed of Accession go by?
- Deed of Adherence
- Deed of Accession to Shareholder’s Agreement
- Deed of Accession to Shareholder’s Deed
- Deed of Accession to Securityholder’s Agreement
- Deed of Accession to Securityholder’s Deed
Frequently Asked Questions
The parties involved are the company and the new shareholder; or the or unit trust and the new unitholder.
Yes, this agreement becomes legally binding on all parties involved once it is signed off.
- Applicant details
- Security issuing company details (ACN, Name, Place of Business)
- Date of Principal Agreement
- Type and number of shares/securities being offered
- Subscription price
- Choice of Governing Law
- Dispute Resolution choices
If desired, you can include details of the existing parties to the Principal Agreement, in which case those details will be added in a schedule to the deed poll.
There are several signing options available. How you sign largely depends on where the parties are located and if they will attend signing together. You can print on paper and sign, or use electronic signature tools such as Docusign or Hellosign.
This document can be used with a wide variety of securities. Examples are company issued options, contributing shares, preference shares, and ordinary shares.
If you need a hand, we’ve got your back. Should you need any assistance please contact us directly, we are always happy to help.
If you have any questions or are uncertain about any aspect of the document, please do not sign it or use it. Contact us directly and we will be happy to assist.
Absolutely! Get in touch with us and we can provide a fixed-fee price to review it.
- Expertly crafted legal documents prepared by a lawyer for you to customise
- Takes just 10 minutes to complete
- Download and print instantly a PDF versions
- No need to speak with a lawyer – you’ve got this!
You've got this!
Create your own customized document now. No lawyer needed!
Not quite right? Looking for something else?
What other documents may I need?
If you’re interested in a Deed of Accession you might also need to think about:
- Company Constitution — A company constitution contains a lot of the relevant information needed like the company registration details.
- Securities Issuance Pack — This pack is vital as it includes resolutions of the director(s) for the issue of the shares, an application form for the shares, as well as a ‘share certificates’ for officially issuing the shares.
- Shareholders Agreement — A shareholder agreement documents the relationship between shareholders and your business
Or check out these articles below
Need lawyer-prepared documents instead?
We've got this! Get in touch now
Get documents tailored to YOUR business, not nobody's business
Biztech Lawyer’s ‘done for you’ service will help you create a document that is truly tailored to your business’ circumstances, risk appetite and commercial needs.
This might involve a small extra expense. But from experience, there’s a false economy in documents that don’t do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it.
Let our expert commercial lawyers get it done for you.
The Biztech Lawyers difference
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner…
- Documents prepared by expert Australian lawyers with 10+ years legal experience
- Includes initial discussion, drafting and one round of changes
- No charge for initial scoping discussion
- Turned around in 24-48 hours
We are business and technology lawyers who assist businesses with all their commercial legal needs.
WE GET YOU
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner… We have deep practical experience across top-tier law and strategy consulting, and we’ve also held operational xand leadership roles in scaling some of the most exciting start-ups to come out of Australia and conquer the world.
WE’VE BEEN THERE
We will get your deal done the way you want: commercially, strategically, and cost effectively… We thrive in high-growth environments. We’re nimble, agile, and responsive. We know boot strapped, keep things lean, and offer billing solutions to suit you.
WE’RE WITH YOU
We will focus on your growth to reach new heights — as your decision making partner, problem solving workhorse and operations specialist — to transform legal in your business. We have a unique legal and operations skill set, drawing on a network of specialist lawyers and tech partners across the world to support you through every stage of development.