Independent Contractor Agreement
When you engage the services of another party as an independent contractor, it’s important to have an agreement in place that defines exactly what is expected of the contractor to protect you and your business.
This do-it-yourself document generator helps you create a custom contractor agreement that covers all the essentials. In less than 20 minutes you’ll have everything you need to kick off that pesky project that’s been holding you back.
How does it work?
What is an Independent Contractor Agreement?
When should I use a Contractor Agreement?
What topics does a Contractor Agreement cover?
- Describing the Services
- Applicable Currency
- Fees for out-of-scope work
- Payment of Invoices
- Indemnity Clauses
- Default Interest
- Responsibility for Costs
- Boilerplate language
What are the main decisions I need to make in creating an Independent Contractor Agreement?
- What are services you want provided by the contractor?
- Do you want to distinguish between in-scope and out-of-scope work?
- Do you want to include an indemnity clause?
- Do you want to include a default interest clause?
- Come to an agreement with the other party as to how costs will be handled.
- Do you want to include a deadline for when the work should be completed?
What other names does a Contractor Agreement go by?
A Contractor Agreement is also known as:
- Independent Contractor Agreement
- Consultancy Agreement
- Contractor Services Agreement
- Subcontractor Agreement
- Contractor Agreement
- Services Agreement – although typically a contractor agreement is drafted by the recipient of contractor’s services — and is therefore recipient-friendly — where a services agreement is service-provider friendly
Frequently Asked Questions
The parties involved are the contractor, and the company engaging them.
No. This tool allows you to create a contractor agreement for both individuals and/or companies.
Generally you would need this document when engaging the services of a contractor rather than an employee.
Generally, an independent contractor is an individual or company who has been contracted to perform a service based on their specialisations. Contractors work independent to your business for a remuneration agreed to upon based on their quote.
It is important to note the difference between an independent contractor and an employee. The distinction will affect your tax, super and other obligations as well as their legal rights and entitlements.
The differences between employees and independent contractors are not set in stone. The court will look at the whole engagement, but FairWork sets out some indicators here.
- If you are contracting with the other party on an employment or contractor basis.
- Details of the contractor including name, ABN, address and email.
- Details of the services to be provided by the contractor.
- The cost of the service.
- The governing law of the contractor agreement.
There are several signing options available. How you sign largely depends on where the parties are located and if they will attend signing together. You can print on paper and sign, or use electronic signature tools such as Docusign or Hellosign.
Absolutely! Get in touch with us and we can provide a fixed-fee price to review it.
Expertly crafted legal documents tailored to your specific requirements in less than 20 minutes
Download and print Word and PDF versions instantly
No need to speak with a lawyer – you’ve got this!
You've got this!
Create your own customized document now. No lawyer needed!
Not quite right? Looking for something else?
What other documents may I need?
Or check out these articles below
Need lawyer-prepared documents instead?
We've got this! Get in touch now
Get documents tailored to YOUR business, not nobody's business
Biztech Lawyer’s ‘done for you’ service will help you create a document that is truly tailored to your business’ circumstances, risk appetite and commercial needs.
This might involve a small extra expense. But from experience, there’s a false economy in documents that don’t do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it.
Let our expert commercial lawyers get it done for you.
The Biztech Lawyers difference
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner…
- Documents prepared by expert Australian lawyers with 10+ years legal experience
- Includes initial discussion, drafting and one round of changes
- No charge for initial scoping discussion
- Turned around in 24-48 hours
We are business and technology lawyers who assist businesses with all their commercial legal needs.
WE GET YOU
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner… We have deep practical experience across top-tier law and strategy consulting, and we’ve also held operational xand leadership roles in scaling some of the most exciting start-ups to come out of Australia and conquer the world.
WE’VE BEEN THERE
We will get your deal done the way you want: commercially, strategically, and cost effectively… We thrive in high-growth environments. We’re nimble, agile, and responsive. We know boot strapped, keep things lean, and offer billing solutions to suit you.
WE’RE WITH YOU
We will focus on your growth to reach new heights — as your decision making partner, problem solving workhorse and operations specialist — to transform legal in your business. We have a unique legal and operations skill set, drawing on a network of specialist lawyers and tech partners across the world to support you through every stage of development.