Deed of Assignment of IP
This do-it-yourself, entirely customisable legal document is easily tailored to your specific circumstances as you transfer ownership of IP rights to a new party.
How does it work?
Our intuitive tool will guide you through the process step-by-step from start to finish. It’s quick, easy and simple to understand – just how legal documents ought to be.
The expert interview wizard will help you answer a few questions and prepare your document in the background. You’ll have your custom Deed of Assignment of IP in 15 minutes or less.
When you’re done, print or download a PDF versions for you to review, customise or sign.
What is a Deed of Assignment of IP?
This document assigns Intellectual Property (IP) rights held by one party to another party.
In assigning these rights, the assignor relinquishes all IP rights previously held in regard to the particular IP as the rights are assigned to the new party.
This Deed of Assignment of IP allows not only for the assignment of existing IP rights, but it also gives the option to transfer IP rights that may arise in the future as part of a contemplated arrangement.
When should I use a Deed of Assignment of IP?
The Deed of Assignment of IP should be used if you’re transferring Intellectual Property ownership rights to another party.
What topics does a Deed of Assignment of IP cover?
- Number of Assignors and Assignees
- Details of Assignors and Assignees
- Scope of Assignment
- Details of the IP rights being assigned (can include Inventions, Designs, Registered Trademarks, Unregistered Trademarks, Registered Business Names, Domain Names, Online Accounts, Software, Copyrights, Plant-breeder rights, Circuit Layouts)
- Future IP rights that may be assigned
- Moral Rights Consent
- Date, Time, and Location of completion
- Responsibility of Costs
- Governing Law
- Boilerplate language
What are the main decisions I need to make in creating a Deed of Assignment of IP?
- What will be the scope of the assignment?
- What are the types of Intellectual Property rights that are being assigned? (can include Inventions, Designs, Registered Trademarks, Unregistered Trademarks, Registered Business Names, Domain Names, Online Accounts, Software, Copyrights, Plant-breeder rights, Circuit Layouts)
- Do you want to include a moral rights consent provision?
- Do you want to include a note that consideration has been received?
- Do you want to make this transaction conditional upon any other transaction occurring?
- When and where do you want completion to take place?
- Do you want to include basic warranties for the assignor and assignee?
- How will the costs be handled?
What other names does a Deed of Assignment of IP go by?
A Deed of Assignment of IP is also known as:
- Deed of Assignment of IP
- IP Assignment Agreement
- IP Assignment Deed
- Deed of IP Assignment
- Intellectual Property Assignment Agreement
- Intellectual Property Assignment Deed
- IP Assignment Contract
- IP Transfer Agreement
- Trademark transfer agreement
- Deed of Copyright Assignment
- Domain name transfer agreement
Frequently Asked Questions
The parties involved are the assignor and assignee.
Generally you would need this document when assigning Intellectual Property rights from an assignor to an assignee.
An IP License Agreement sets out the commercial and contractual terms for when a party uses the Intellectual Property owned by another party.
A Deed of Assignment of IP officially transfers the IP rights held by one party to the assignee party.
No. The assignment is a complete transfer of the rights to the IP.
The moral rights are the rights of the original creator of copyright materials, which protect the relationship between the original creator and the work.
As per the Copyright Act 1986 (Cth), the use of work must be properly attributed to the creator and include integrity of authorship or performance of the copyright material.
These moral rights held by the creator of copyright material cannot be assigned, however, through consent, the moral rights may be infringed.
- Details of the Assignor and Assignee.
- Scope of Assignment
- What Intellectual Property rights are being assigned?
- What is the contemplated arrangement that can give rise to the creation of future IP rights?
- Details of the Intellectual Property being assigned
- Date, Time, and Location of Completion
- Governing Law
There are several signing options available. How you sign largely depends on where the parties are located and if they will attend signing together. You can print on paper and sign, or use electronic signature tools such as Docusign or Hellosign.
If you need any assistance please contact us directly, we are always happy to help.
If you have any questions or are uncertain about any aspect of the document please do not sign it or use it. Please contact us directly and we will be happy to assist.
Absolutely! Get in touch with us and we can provide a fixed-fee price to review it.
Expertly crafted legal documents customised to your specific circumstances in less than 15 minutes
Download and print a PDF versions instantly
No need to speak with a lawyer – you’ve got this!
You've got this!
Create your own customized document now. No lawyer needed!
Not quite right? Looking for something else?
What other documents might I need?
If you’re interested in a Deed of Assignment of IP you might also need to think about:
- IP Licence Agreement – You might need this agreement to document and licence the use of your IP
- Consent to Use — Quote, Image or Recording – You might need this to document consent to use particular IP
- Long Form NDA – You might need this to ensure that the party who you’re sharing your quote/image/recording knows to keep it confidential
Or check out these articles below
Need lawyer-prepared documents instead?
We've got this! Get in touch now
Get documents tailored to YOUR business, not nobody's business
Biztech Lawyer’s ‘done for you’ service will help you create a document that is truly tailored to your business’ circumstances, risk appetite and commercial needs.
This might involve a small extra expense. But from experience, there’s a false economy in documents that don’t do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it.
Let our expert commercial lawyers get it done for you.
The Biztech Lawyers difference
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner…
- Documents prepared by expert Australian lawyers with 10+ years legal experience
- Includes initial discussion, drafting and one round of changes
- No charge for initial scoping discussion
- Turned around in 24-48 hours
We are business and technology lawyers who assist businesses with all their commercial legal needs.
WE GET YOU
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner… We have deep practical experience across top-tier law and strategy consulting, and we’ve also held operational xand leadership roles in scaling some of the most exciting start-ups to come out of Australia and conquer the world.
WE’VE BEEN THERE
We will get your deal done the way you want: commercially, strategically, and cost effectively… We thrive in high-growth environments. We’re nimble, agile, and responsive. We know boot strapped, keep things lean, and offer billing solutions to suit you.
WE’RE WITH YOU
We will focus on your growth to reach new heights — as your decision making partner, problem solving workhorse and operations specialist — to transform legal in your business. We have a unique legal and operations skill set, drawing on a network of specialist lawyers and tech partners across the world to support you through every stage of development.