Appointment of Support Person - VIC
This do-it-yourself document generator guides you through the process of drafting an Appointment of Support Person document that is tailored to you and your requirements and is ready to use in minutes.
How does it work?
Our intuitive tool will guide you through the process step-by-step from start to finish. It’s quick, easy and simple to understand – just how legal documents ought to be.
The expert interview wizard will help you answer a few questions and prepare your document in the background. You’ll have your custom Appointment of Support Person in 10 minutes or less.
When you’re done, print or download a PDF version for you to review, customise or sign.
What is an Appointment of Support Person?
An Appointment of Support Person is a legal document that officially recognises an appointed person as someone who can access, or help you to access, health information relevant to your medical treatment.
This document is drafted to comply with the format approved by the Department of Health and Human Services of Victoria for the appointment of a Support Person pursuant to the Medical Treatment Planning and Decisions Act 2016 (VIC).
When should I use an Appointment of Support Person?
The Appointment of Support Person Should be used if you would like to document the appointment of a support person for you.
What topics does an Appointment of Support Person cover?
- The Appointment of Support Person document information
- Details of the Appointer
- Details of the Support Person
- Details of the Witnesses to the appointment
- Statement of acceptance by the support person – signing and witnessing
What are the main decisions I need to make in creating an Appointment of Support Person?
- Who do you want to appoint as the support person? — This is the main decision to make in creating this document and therefore you should make sure that you choose this party with consideration for the types of decisions he/she will be making as your support person.
- Do you want to include a statement of acceptance from the support person?
What other names does an Appointment of Support Person go by?
An Appointment of Support Person is also known as:
- Appointing a Support Person
- Advance Care Planning
Frequently Asked Questions
The parties involved are the Appointer and the Support Person.
Generally you would use this document as part of your Advance Care Planning process to help you plan your medical care in case you become too unwell to make decisions for yourself.
The role of a Support Person is:
- to support you to make, communicate, and give effect to the your medical treatment decisions; and
- to represent your interests in respect of your medical treatment including when you lose decision making capacity in relation to medical treatment decisions.
The Support Person does not have the power to make any medical treatment decision for you.
An Appointor who has decision-making capacity may appoint another person (including a child) as the person’s Support Person.
It can be any person, including a child.
- Details of the Support Person
- Details of the Witnesses
There are several signing options available. How you sign largely depends on where the parties are located and if they will attend signing together. You can print on paper and sign, or use electronic signature tools such as Docusign or Hellosign.
If you need any assistance please contact us directly, we would be happy to assist.
Expertly crafted legal documents customised to your specific circumstances in less than 10 minutes
Download and print a PDF version instantly
No need to speak with a lawyer – you’ve got this!
You've got this!
Create your own customized document now. No lawyer needed!
Not quite right? Looking for something else?
What other documents might I need?
- Advance Care Directive (Victoria) — You may need this if you’re looking communicate your binding instructions or preferences and values in relation to the medical treatment in the event that you don’t have decision-making capacity for a medical treatment.
- Appointment of Medical Treatment Decision Maker (Victoria) — You may need this document if you would like to appoint one or multiple medical treatment decision makers, who will have legal authority (in order of appointment based on availability at the time), to make medical treatment decisions on your behalf, should you become unable to do so.
- Last Will and Testament — You may need this document if you’re trying to document a more complex breakdown and distribution of your assets. It can also include asset protection and tax savings.
- Express Will — You may need this document if you intend to leave all your assets to one or more specific entities. This is a simpler version of a Last Will and Testament.
Read these articles or reach out to us for advice using the contact form below
Need lawyer-prepared documents instead?
We've got this! Get in touch now
Get documents tailored to YOUR business, not nobody's business
Biztech Lawyer’s ‘done for you’ service will help you create a document that is truly tailored to your business’ circumstances, risk appetite and commercial needs.
This might involve a small extra expense. But from experience, there’s a false economy in documents that don’t do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it.
Let our expert commercial lawyers get it done for you.
The Biztech Lawyers difference
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner…
- Documents prepared by expert Australian lawyers with 10+ years legal experience
- Includes initial discussion, drafting and one round of changes
- No charge for initial scoping discussion
- Turned around in 24-48 hours
We are business and technology lawyers who assist businesses with all their commercial legal needs.
WE GET YOU
We will truly grasp the complexities and needs of your tech-driven business unlike any other legal partner… We have deep practical experience across top-tier law and strategy consulting, and we’ve also held operational xand leadership roles in scaling some of the most exciting start-ups to come out of Australia and conquer the world.
WE’VE BEEN THERE
We will get your deal done the way you want: commercially, strategically, and cost effectively… We thrive in high-growth environments. We’re nimble, agile, and responsive. We know boot strapped, keep things lean, and offer billing solutions to suit you.
WE’RE WITH YOU
We will focus on your growth to reach new heights — as your decision making partner, problem solving workhorse and operations specialist — to transform legal in your business. We have a unique legal and operations skill set, drawing on a network of specialist lawyers and tech partners across the world to support you through every stage of development.